Dilys Jones Associates Ltd has trained over 4,000 Caldicott Guardians in Health and Social Care in England, Wales and Scotland. The equivalent role in Northern Ireland is the Personal Data Guardian and the company has trained over 80% of those in this role in Northern Ireland. Each Health and Social Care organisation requires a Caldicott Guardian, including those who contract with the NHS and Local Authorities in the private and third sectors plus associated agencies and Non Departmental Public Bodies.
The role of Caldicott Guardian/Personal Data Guardian is taken by a senior professional practitioner figure within the organisation (often Medical Director/Nursing Director/Social Care Practitioner or their deputies). The role includes advising the Board and the organisation on the legal and ethical management of patient or client information.
Our courses are approved/accredited by:
- ODLQC - New Provider Status
- CORAS - NHS Education for Scotland
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Anglia Ruskin University HE Level 3, for 15 credits (blended learning course)
- Open Courses
- Bespoke Training Solutions
- One to One Coaching
- 3 month Blended Learning
Caldicott Guardian Certificate
3 month course - HE Level 3, 15 credits – courses commence in June and September each year
Dilys Jones Associates Ltd has trained over 4,000 Caldicott Guardians in Health and Social Care in England, Wales and Scotland. The equivalent role in Northern Ireland is the Personal Data Guardian and the company has trained over 80% of those in this role in Northern Ireland. Each Health and Social Care organisation requires a Caldicott Guardian, including those who contract with the NHS and Local Authorities in the private and third sectors plus associated agencies and Non Departmental Public Bodies. To this end, the company has now produced an accredited 3 month blended learning course which covers:
- Introduction to the Role of the Caldicott Guardian/Personal Data Guardian
- Corporate Governance and Information Governance Frameworks, Information Security and Working with the SIRO
- Records and Information Management, Access to Information Laws, Managing
- Confidentiality and Data Protection
- Implications for Practice
- Interface with Access to Information Laws
- Patient / Client Information and Disclosure
- Information Security
The objectives of the course:
- To provide the knowledge and understanding required for those working in the role of Caldicott Guardian or Personal Data Guardian
- To assist Guardians in the successful implementation of their role
- To identify the organisation-wide requirements in respect of successful implementation and in working with information governance professionals in the organisation
- To ensure that Guardians are equipped with the necessary tools, including support and networks to fulfil their role within the organisation
In terms of additional specific benefits for the delegates and for their employers (and ultimately, therefore, patients and clients), we have identified the following benefits:
- The course can be carried out at the desk for the most part. Very little time is spent outside the organisation, away from the workplace (2 days over 3 months). Training is also provided via audio recordings and e-mail and telephone support.
- The course assists delegates to develop their role as Guardian, and encourages inclusion of real Guardian issues from within the organisation to work through, thus contributing to the workplace development of the role.
- Delegates work together and build networks. This is facilitated by our Alumni Association which provides ongoing networking, learning opportunities and support after the course has finished, and which now includes Caldicott Guardian/Personal Data Guardian Forum.
- The course helps to consolidate learning and helps Guardians to build personal frameworks for development and keeping up-to-date.
- The Caldicott/Personal Data Guardian Role is essential in relation to corporate governance in health and social care organisations.
- The course provides Caldicott/Personal Data Guardians with training across all aspects of their role, as well as facilitating the development of managing implementation in the organisation and decision making in relation to information-sharing etc
- Tuition is by national and international experts in the field, who have worked in the area of information governance in health and social care as well as the Caldicott Guardian role
- The course provides learning for a range of learning styles, and is inclusive in approach
- There is an Alumni Association for all graduates
- Opportunity to meet and network with a range of colleagues in health and social
We use a blended learning approach which comprises:
- e-learning from our website;
- it includes audio recordings;
- face to face learning;
- e-mail exchanges;
- a course manual and
- access to a private on-line forum
To view our comprehensive training solutions please visit our dedicated training page
A Guide for Caldicott Guardians & Information Governance Leads
Please click here for further information about our guide
Caldicott Guardians have an important role in many areas:
Useful Resources for Caldicott Guardians
Click here to view them